Vallecitos is a remote, high elevation retreat center with mountainous terrain. Please be prepared! Temperatures in the high mountains can swing thirty degrees between early morning and afternoon; nights and mornings during the summer can be chilly (40s-50s°F) while spring and fall overnight temps can dip into the 30s°F. During peak summer months the days can be quite warm (70s-80s°F) while early and late in the season daytime highs are typically in the 60s°F. Be sure to check the local weather using the link below the week before your retreat start date. Pack accordingly, with the help of the list below.
Basic Packing List
- Warm sleeping bag (rated down to +10)
- Pillowcase and bottom sheet for double bed which will fit the twin and double beds we have. (One casita, one yurt and the Hermitage have a queen size bed. You are welcome to ask us ahead of time which room you are in or we are happy to provide you with a queen sheet if you end up in one of those rooms.)
- Clothes that can be layered
- If attending in May or October, extra layers plus a warm jacket, hat, and gloves
- If you sleep cold, then a set of warm baselayers and wool socks for sleeping
- Sun Hat (warm hat too in colder months)
- Rain gear (raincoat or poncho)
- Hiking boots or sturdy walking shoes (rain resistant is preferable)
- Easy slip on shoes are nice to have as shoes are not allowed in the meditation hall or practice tent
- Battery operated travel alarm (if your watch does not have an alarm setting)
- Battery operated flashlight or headlamp
- Extra batteries
- Water bottle
- Toiletries (Fragrance Free shower products are available on site. If bringing your own, please be sure its Fragrance Free.)
- Towel and wash cloth
- Sunscreen (SPF 15 or higher)
- Bug Spray (We are newly experiencing mosquitos and biting flies at the center during some summer months and you may wish to have this on hand. There is often extra at the center. Scent awareness is appreciated for bug spray but fragrance free is not imperative since it is so hard to come by for this particular item.)
- Meditation props and yoga mats if you wish to have your own. (We do have these available at the center.)
- If your retreat is Dana-based, then please bring checks, credit card or cash to make an offering at the end of the retreat.
Packing Tips (and items available at the retreat center):
- Because of the amount of time spent sitting or walking in meditation, we recommend wearing comfortable clothing that is looser or has a bit of stretch in the fabric.
- Since most sits are held outside in our practice tent, please bring layers that you can add on and take off as temperatures fluctuate. Morning sits can be cold.
- It is best to bring luggage that is easily transported uphill and over rocky terrain; wheeled luggage often must be carried a short distance to your lodging.
- You may bring your own meditation supplies, if desired. The center has zafus, zabutons, benches and chairs available. You are NOT required to bring you own supplies, but are welcome to if you would like.
- We have a small supply of yoga mats available. You may bring your own yoga mat if desired.
- Please note that we do not have the electrical capacity to support charging and using personal devices such as ipads or computers. You are encouraged to leave these items at home, or in your car.
- Candles are not allowed on site.
- Vallecitos is a weapons, tobacco, and alcohol free facility. These items are strictly forbidden on site.
Rent a Comfort Pack
To help you pack lightly, we offer the option to rent a Comfort Package during your stay – a warm sleeping bag, fitted sheet, flat sheet and pillowcase, towel and wash cloth.
The cost to rent the Comfort Package is $50. This fee is for your entire stay and includes a cleaning fee.
Reserving a Comfort Pack: Comfort Packs may be reserved and paid for via your registration form. If you need to cancel or add a Comfort Pack after registering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have a few essential items available for purchase, including flashlights, batteries, sunscreen, toothbrushes, travel alarm clocks, etc. We do not stock watches on site. Souvenir items are also available for purchase, including caps, water bottles, T-shirts, hoodies, vests and other items. The sale of these items helps support Vallecitos.
Please only bring luggage that you can carry a short distance (probably uphill) yourself. Even wheeled luggage often has to be carried given the rocky, uneven terrain.