Vallecitos is a remote, high elevation retreat center with mountainous terrain. Please be prepared! Mornings and evenings can be quite cold, even in mid-summer. Pack accordingly, with the help of the list below. Because of the high elevation of the retreat center, the sun is very intense. Sunscreen is a must!
Basic Packing List
- Warm sleeping bag (rated down to +10)
- Pillow case and bottom sheet for double bed
- Clothes that can be layered
- Bathing suit (for the swimming pond in warmer months)
- Sun Hat (warm hat too in colder months)
- Rain gear (raincoat or poncho)
- Hiking boots or sturdy walking shoes (rain resistant is preferable)
- Easy slip on shoes are nice to have as shoes are not allowed in the meditation hall
- Battery operated travel alarm
- Battery operated flashlight or headlamp
- Extra batteries
- Water bottle
- Toiletries (Fragrance Free shower products are available by donation. If bringing your own, please be sure its Fragrance Free.)
- Towel and wash cloth
- Sunscreen (SPF 15 or higher)
Packing Tips (and items available at the retreat center):
- You may bring your own meditation supplies, if desired. The center has zafus, zabutans, benches and chairs available. You are NOT required to bring you own supplies, but are welcome to if you would like.
- We have a small supply of yoga mats available. You may bring your own yoga mat if desired.
- Please note that we do not have the electrical capacity to support charging and using personal devices such as ipads or computers. You are encouraged to leave these items at home, or at least in your car.
- Candles are not allowed on site.
- Vallecitos is a weapons, tobacco, and alcohol free facility. These items are strictly forbidden on site.
The Ultimate Comfort Package
To help you pack lightly, we offer the Ultimate Comfort Package – a warm sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner, sheet and pillowcase, towel and wash cloth – for rent during your stay.
Cost: The cost to rent the Ultimate Comfort Package is $50. This fee is for your entire stay and includes a cleaning fee.
Reserving a comfort pack: Comfort packs may be reserved and paid for via your registration form. If you need to cancel or add a comfort pack, you may do so by returning to your registration details and adding or cancelling the pack.
We have a few essential items available for purchase, including flashlights, batteries, sunscreen, shampoo, toothbrushes, travel alarm clocks, etc. Souvenir items are also available for purchase, including caps, water bottles, T-shirts, hoodies, books and other items. The sale of these items helps support Vallecitos.
Please only bring luggage that you can carry a short distance (probably uphill) yourself.