Current Job Openings
Enjoy meaningful service while supporting Vallecitos as we prepare to reopen for in-person retreats in 2022.
*Given CDC recommendations and state guidelines, the only way to ensure we are a safe container is to be certain all (including staff) who come to the land this year are vaccinated. For the safety of our guests and staff, we err on the side of caution, especially given the remote nature of Vallecitos and our communal facilities. Like many retreat centers, we are feeling our way as we consider how to safely reopen. We are excited that we are able to reopen within the ongoing pandemic. We have deeply and thoroughly considered this decision, and we recognize there is no one decision that is inclusive for everyone who wishes to practice at Vallecitos.
Vallecitos Mountain Retreat Center, a remote Buddhist based retreat center, is seeking a seasonal, full-time Facility Manager to tend to and oversee the care and maintenance of the retreat center. Responsibilities include managing all maintenance of the land and facilities, overseeing onsite safety, coordinating projects and resources for the land, as well as caring for guests facility based needs during the retreat season. This person reports to the Executive Director.
Job is partially based at the retreat center (half time during season May through October) and the rest is based at home with very few requirements for nearly five months of the year. Enjoy tending to this beautiful refuge while making a difference in the Dharma. Retreat center is in northern NM. Annual salary of approximately $40,000-$48,000 depending on skills and experience.
- Oversee all land and facility maintenance and projects (135 acres and approximately 35 structures including tents, yurts, casitas and outbuildings)
- Training, managing and scheduling of maintenance staff (people to back up the facility manager when not on site and for project work)
- Acting as On Site Manager for the center
- Researching solutions, sourcing vendors, and getting bids for work needed
- Coordinating vendors (propane, solar, inspections, etc.)
- Responsible for safety measures including emergency plan updates and execution as well as onsite medical inventory
- Coordination and management of opening and closing the center each season
- Coordination of volunteer work weekends
- Ensuring proper maintenance and function of irrigation, water/well, vehicles, solar systems, generators, etc.
- Driving guest shuttle on opening and closing day of retreats (30 minutes each way)
- Play an active role in supporting grants for the land and workers (i.e. AmeriCorps)
- Assisting retreat manager with timely guest response/communication with facility related needs
- Conducting/coordinating two weekly town runs (1-1/2 hours each way to transport laundry, food, trash, recycle, supplies, etc.)
- Tree management in high traffic areas including collecting and ensuring enough firewood for operations
- Monitoring trash, recycle and compost efforts
- Maintaining barbed wire fencing of the property
- Trail maintenance and familiarity with trail system
- Active member of the land committee
- Welcoming disposition and ability to interact with guests and staff with varying needs and expectations
- An understanding of mindfulness and willingness to practice
- Team oriented with the ability to work independently and manage others
- Solid planning and organization skills given our remote location
- Good knowledge of the skills, equipment and materials needed to maintain the retreat center facilities and keep the center in good working order. (using a chainsaw, tractor, generator, power tools, etc.)
- Fully participate in staff training/resources to support creating a community of belonging, with sensitivity to identities that include race, gender, sexual orientation, and more.
- CPR/Wilderness First Aid Certified or ability to acquire
- Position requires lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling up to 50 pounds or more.
- Position could start in August of 2022.
- Position is seasonal with the vast majority of responsibilities falling between mid April and early November due to our retreat schedule and location. There is very little work November through March.
- This person is required to live at the retreat center approx. 50% of the time between late April and the end of October. The remainder of the job is performed from home.
- When this position is not onsite, essential onsite duties are performed by a maintenance staff person. Flexibility is required to create a mutually agreed upon schedule to ensure coverage at the center and appropriate breaks off site.
- We offer fair compensation as a W2 employee.
- Onsite staff is provided gourmet vegetarian meals and single occupancy heated accommodation. (Please note there is no electricity to any of the accommodations at Vallecitos.)
- Staff is offered one retreat per season at Vallecitos at no charge.
- Staff is invited to attend sits/talks during retreats when teachers allow.
- Vallecitos covers the cost of approved training (CPR, Wilderness First Aid, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and more).
Interested parties please email a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. Please include:
- Why you believe you are an ideal candidate for the position
- If you have ever been to Vallecitos before or your connection with the organization
- Your related experience
- Your availability
- Your contact information