Live and work on site at this beautiful, remote, off grid location in northern NM. The Facilities Manager maintains the retreat center facilities and grounds in addition to supporting key aspects of our on-site operations. Gain experience in land & natural resource management, facility maintenance, retreat management, customer service and mindfulness practice. Applicants must be resourceful, responsible, caring, handy, have strong personhood and some property/land management experience. This position reports directly to the Executive Director. Job is shared with other facilities managers and runs during our open season from mid-April to mid-November. Applicants must be interested in living in a very remote, high altitude, off grid location during their work period.
- Ensuring proper maintenance and function of irrigation, water/well, vehicles, solar system
- Maintaining all facilities (approx. 40 structures)
- Keeping a clean and safe environment for guests
- Driving guest shuttle on opening and closing day of retreats (30 minutes each way)
- Assisting retreat manager with timely guest response/communication
- Tree management in high traffic areas including collecting and ensuring enough firewood for operations (Experience with a chainsaw required)
- Monitoring propane use and coordinating refill logistics
- Conducting two weekly town runs (1-1/2 hours each way to transport laundry, food, trash, recycle, supplies, etc.)
- Monitoring trash, recycle and compost efforts
- Maintaining barbed wire fencing of the property
- Managing opening and closing of the property and facilities seasonally
- Coordinating volunteers when appropriate
- Assisting with guest orientation talk and work meditation job training for guests
- Anticipating and responding to guests needs and safety
- Maintaining medical kit and emergency supplies
- Trail maintenance and familiarity with trail system
- Point person for the emergency plan execution at the center
- CPR/Wilderness First Aid Certified or ability to acquire (required)
- Team oriented person with strong interpersonal skills while being comfortable working independently.
- Able to communicate mindfully, very flexible and adaptable to changing needs, ability to problem solve and be resourceful in a calm and effective manner.
- Welcoming disposition and ability to interact with guests with varying needs and expectations.
- Strong planning and organization skills due to our remote location.
- Good knowledge of the skills, equipment and materials needed to maintain the retreat center facilities and land in good working order. (using a chainsaw, tractor, generator, power tools, etc.)
- Willingness to learn – periodic training/resources provided on various areas of the practice and our value of deep welcome including race, gender, sexual orientation, and more.
- Scheduling flexibility is required.
- Position requires lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling up to 50 pounds or more.
- Emphasis on safety: Aptitude to learn, assess and refine safety policies and procedures.
Availability: We are looking for both seasonal and back up Facilities Managers, separately.
- Seasonal Facility Manager – this position start date is April 2020 with the opportunity for work Oct 2019.
- 2 weeks on site end of April/early May for opening the center.
- Retreat season is shared with another Facilities Manager in a mutually agreed upon schedule to allow for appropriate breaks (breaks are off-site).
- 2 weeks on site late October/early November for closing the center.
- Back up Factility Manager
- Attend 1-2 weeks on site end of April/early May for opening the center.
- Back up Facility Manager during season as schedule needs (as little as a few days up to a few retreats)
- Attend 1-2 weeks on site late October/early November for closing the center.
- We offer fair compensation as a W2 employee plus gourmet vegetarian meals and single occupancy heated accommodation. (Please note there is no electricity to any of the accommodations at Vallecitos.)
- Staff is offered one retreat per season at Vallecitos at no charge.
- Staff is invited to attend sits/talks during retreats when teachers allow.
- We cover the cost of approved training (CPR, Wilderness First Aid, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and more).
All interested parties please email a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must include:
- Why you believe you are an ideal candidate for the position
- If you have ever been to Vallecitos before or your connection to the organization
- Your related experience
- Your availability
- Your contact information