Morning Muffins (or Chickpea Frittata)
From the kitchen at Vallecitos Mountain Retreat Center
By Katie Gall and Jack Egbar
Serves 6-12 (makes 12 muffins)
Ingredients for batter (“eggs”) – combine all:
1 ½ cups chickpea flour
½ cups aqua fava (frothed to a peak)
5 ½ cups water
¼ Tbsp. baking powder
½ Tbsp. turmeric
½ tsp. salt
¾ Tbsp. nutritional yeast
4 Tbsp. roasted red pepper (minced)
¾ cup sautéed spinach
4 Tbsp. asparagus (raw, thinly sliced)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Coat muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place following amount veggies in each compartment, if using:
1 tsp. roasted red pepper (minded)
1 Tbps. sautéed spinach
1 tsp. asparagus (raw, finely sliced)
- Top with batter (batter will be thin).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the borders are golden and the center is set.
- Insert a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean the muffins are set.
“Serve with” suggestions:
Balsamic mixed greens